Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mentors, Part 1

The filing period has closed and there will be three candidates on the June 8 ballot. Joining me in the campaign will be Randy Gephart and Therese Hankel. Therese has also been a friend for a long time. I called each of them and congratulated them on running. One of us will be entrusted by the citizens of Mono County with the honor and privilege of being Mono County's next Superior Court Judge.

I have given a lot of thought about my perspective and understanding of the law. My "world view" of the law is based in considerable part on the mentors that I was fortunate enough to learn from. Just as painters, musicians, and economists are shaped by their "schools" and mentors, lawyers also go through an apprenticeship process, either formally or informally.

My first mentor in the law was my father, George Magit. Dad loved the law and loved being a lawyer. He practiced for more than 50 years in Los Angeles helping many people with his wise counsel, good humor, and tenacious effort. He also loved life and most of all his wife, my Mom, Joan. My Dad and Mom had a condominium at Snowflower in Mammoth for many years. He loved fishing, hiking, walking the dogs, and spending the holidays in the High Sierra. He was an active member of the State Bar when he passed away on July 11, 2009, at age 79, after a terrible battle with cancer. I wish he was here now to help in my campaign, for he loved politics far more than I do. I know that he is counseling me and encouraging me every step of the way.

Dad encouraged me to become a lawyer and encouraged me to become a judge if the opportunity arose. He firmly believed that the law was what allowed our capitalist democracy to flourish and grow. He thought the practice of law was a high calling, and should be practiced with civility and the highest regard for ethics. He became dismayed when a less collegial and more "ends justify the means" approach seemed to become more prevalent in L.A. over the last 30 years or so. From him I learned that the law matters, and that the primary purpose of the practice of law is to help others. For that help a lawyer, like a doctor or any other professional, should be fairly compensated, but should never be greedy and should always keep the client's best interest in mind.

The practice of law is first and foremost about helping others by working within the law, behaving with courtesy, civility and competence, and doing the right thing. Every time. This is what he taught me. This is the standard I set for myself as a lawyer. This is how I will conduct myself as a judge if elected.

I miss him.



3 comments:

  1. Mark, it's great to read about your legal mentors. This one is especially touching; I'm sure your dad would be so moved and so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark- My name is Stacy Magic (nee Magit). I believe my grandfather was your grandfather's brother. They had a falling out years before we were all born, and we never met. I've just contacted, thru Ancestry.com, Debra Magit, Jack Magit's daughter. I'd love to know more about you, your father and family, and any family history you know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete