Sunday, February 14, 2010

First Steps

This blog is a journal, and a forum for discussion, about my candidacy for Mono County Superior Court Judge. Judge Edward Forstenzer announced his retirement last month, requiring an election to fill his seat. The primary election will be held on June 8, 2010. Judge Forstenzer served Mono County for more than 20 years with distinction and dedicated service, and it will be a great honor to serve as his successor.

The first steps toward making the decision whether to run for judge in the June 8th primary election were: (1) making sure that I was running for Mono County Superior Court Judge for the right reasons; (2) learning how to get on the June 8th ballot and how to comply with the FPPC campaign disclosure laws; (3) developing a realistic campaign plan; and (4) assessing if I have a reasonable chance of making it to the November general election if I diligently follow the campaign plan. Having taken these steps, and consulting with my wife Dory, family, friends and colleagues (thanks all, for your time and ideas!), I filed my Declaration of Candidacy and the other myriad papers with Mono County Elections Clerk Linda Romero on Thursday, February 11, 2010. My hat is in the proverbial ring.

We will know by Wednesday who will be in the race. My friend Randy Gephart will be a qualified candidate. We both have been practicing law and living in Mono County since the late 1980's. So much has changed since I moved to Mammoth Lakes in 1987. I have lived in Mammoth, June Lake, and now reside with Dory and our three dogs in Crowley Lake. Living in the Eastern Sierra will bring some shared and common experiences to all of the candidates. However, each of the candidates has approached the practice of law in a very different way.

Our experience really matters. During the course of the election our experiences will be examined, and the differences discussed. But it is not just our experience, but what we have learned from it that matters. Our experience and our temperament informs and shapes our perspective, ability, and values. It is all of these things -- experience, perspective, ability, temperament -- and of course our commitment-- that will determine what kind of judge we would be. It will be up to the voters to determine which perspective, qualities, and temperament are best suited to adjudicate the diversity and breadth of matters that will come before the court in Mono County over the next decade and beyond.

This blog will be one forum to hold this discussion. I hope you find it informative and will ask questions and provide suggestions. I am looking forward to the campaign and hope to meet you on the campaign trail. More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting, lots of love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all I knew about your candidacy was based on this thoughtful and extraordinarily sensible post, I would say that the residents of Mono County would be very lucky to have you presiding over their legal matters. But since I know even more about your intellect and good judgment, I know for a fact that you would be an excellent Judge.

    ReplyDelete